This Blog is dedicated to under represented and under reported stories especially about Rwanda, plus other discussions and commentary about Africa and the African diaspora including but not limited to issues of race and gender in the media. However, there are no limits to what will be posted, and discussed. Whatever I feel like talking about, is what I’m going to talk about.
The story of what happened in Rwanda (you know…minority tutsis were butchered by majority hutus simply because of their tutsiness and the rpf saviors stopped the genocide ) has been distorted and the truth unbelievably covered up, that few people in the general population know what actually happened, other than what was MISreported in the NYT and similar publications/books; an unfortunate occurrence for those who care about historical accuracy, social justice, human rights, and peace and reconciliation. Basically, if you heard about it in mainstream news, then half the truth had been blurred out. Why? To find that out, you should continue to read this blog.😉
My blog focuses and primarily reports and discusses the Rwandan side of the story not widely heard in large media outlets specifically as it relates to RPF crimes. If it seems one sided, that’s because it is. There are enough places to discuss that which you heard on CNN or BBC that excludes RPF direct involvement and this blog is not one of them. But you’re more than welcome to discuss the full story with context here and dialogue in order to attempt to set right the historical record.
Before you get your panties in a bunch (I’m talking to you men too!), here are things I believe:
- During the genocide period, both Hutus and Tutsi were killed. An extremely large number of Tutsis were killed, but so was a very large number of Hutus.
- Probably the most contested item on this blog, and the most well hidden reason why “all the killing” happened is the Rwandan Patriotic Front (Tutsi Rebels), and the current Rwandese government.
- One thing that is still unclear is how to classify what happened. Was it a double genocide? Simply a politicide? Or both genocide and politicide? Because although there were civilian members committing genocide, there was also an ongoing war between the Rwandan army and the invading RPF which created another political layer to the chaos.
- At this point, it’s been established that both Hutu civilians and members of the army and Tutsi members of the invading RPF rebel army played the attacker and victim in the matter. Which means, I don’t subscribe to the notion that if the events are classified as genocide, it’s exclusively genocide against Tutsis nor the fact that only the RPF committed massacres. Genocide against Tutsis happened, but how do we classify and incorporate in the narrative the great number of Hutu victims who were killed by the RPF? How does that change how we view and discuss what happened?
- Reasons for why “all the killings” happened in 1994 vary widely. I also don’t subscribe to the notion that people were simply targeted exclusively because of their ethnic groups although the majority were. There were other political, and social factors that played a much bigger role, including the political power struggle, unfortunately drawn along ethnic lines and ignoring these factors does a serious injustice to the story and the historical record.
- And while I believe all that stuff now, there’s still a lot of research to be done, and hidden corners to uncover. Simply put, my views on the matter may or may not change (just don’t think you’re changing my mind by telling me that it was just the tutsis and moderate hutus who died at the hands of extremist Hutus, and how the whole country was saved by the tutsi rebels, deliberately excluding the Tutsi rebel’s role in the killings- that view is a definite HELL NAW).
I understand if you find this information shocking even offensive. But when you finally (if you ever do) realize how the information has been distorted and misreported, you may find yourself even more appalled at how people could have let it get this far and why people were lied to, and misled, and all that good stuff.
Caveat: This is NOT a hate blog. I will not tolerate hate speech of any kind, or mostly ignorant comments. Comments are moderated. There’s just no room for ignorance or hate.
To contact the blogger, please email: backtomyrootsblog at gmail dot com. Happy blogging!